Friday, July 22, 2011

Runner Question Answered

I received a question the other day that was a really good one and thus I wanted to take the opportunity to answer this one as an additional post. Perhaps others have this same question and may be able to gain insight about training. The question was something like this; “If I can run 27 minutes now, but it still takes me a few minutes to run a big hill – where should I put by emphasis in training? Should I be running hills or focused on my progress toward thirty minutes and worry about the hill later? I feel like, when I am on the flat I can run non-stop and do well, yet I still need to slow down and even walk a hill sometimes. Is this OK and what should I be doing about it?

Here is the big picture answer: for now, you need to be OK with walking the hill and continuing to slowly enhance your endurance. Now here is the why to that answer, because I would not be teaching a running class if I did not think that the runner needs to know and understand why we train the way we do.

Training on hills is it’s own class content. They are tough and require a few new form techniques and a lot of patience. The whole idea with hills is to adapt to them slowly, just like you do running long distances. We started walking before we ran and we’ll start hills by walking them or by proceeding up them with equal effort NOT equal speed. That is to say that if your run is a (perceived effort rating) of 4-5, so that you can talk and sing while running, the run is about half of your total output. Remember that these runs are 70-80% of your total running volume or training. Your heart rate (easy to measure if you have a watch or a heart monitor) would be at about 60% of your output with these workouts. If you use the Maffetone method to calculate this heart rate number, I want to run at 180, minus my age (42) = 138 beats/minute.

So when I run along I want to stay at around 138 bpm, and that should be about a perceived effort of 4-5. When the hill comes, I want to head up the hill at that same effort, which means that for now, speed will change. I will slow down to keep a 138 heart rate and a PE of 4-5. Over time I will adapt – just like I adapted to being able to run farther – so that I can run the hill, or head uphill faster using the same amount of effort.

For great coaches like Arthur Lydiard, hills were considered to be the athlete’s weight room. Alberto Salazar and Jeff Galloway will tell you that running hills is equal in effort to doing speed work. Which means, don’t overdo it. All these coaches will agree that hills will make you faster, for several reasons. You develop new muscle definition in your legs for hill work, your body adapts to higher workloads, and you gain confidence that you can crush any terrain you train to conquer.

There are a ton of great reasons to train on hills but we have to be smart about it as well. To run up the hill early on is no different that seeking to run too fast initially in your program. You risk too high a heart rate, not having the where-with-all to continue running once your reach the top, being injured from the effort or being a bore from “overtraining syndrome”. Will all of this happen to you the first time you run up a hill? No. But you do need to consider that if it feels like a huge effort, than it probably is, and that our program is based around gradual attainment of limitless endurance in a near tireless state. While that seems a lofty goal, recall how far you have come so far, by proceeding gradually. If you are not injured or discouraged, then you’ll continue to develop and push yourself and we have time for that a bit later.

Know that I have participants who run to church – 7 miles each way, and some of it up hill. My personal distance record is 42 miles from Elkins to Buckhannon and back, but I still walked once in awhile. Yes, I enjoyed nearly every minute of it. Everyone who has ever run an ultramarathon (any distance over 26.2 miles) will tell you that no matter how much you train, walking remains part of your event sometimes – especially to eat, drink, or when the terrain becomes too steep, as to steal your energy for the rest of your event.

Running well is about pacing yourself and knowing when to push and when to hold the pace. After many weeks of running hills, and after you can run 30 minutes continuously, you’ll know when you can push up the hill a bit without overdoing it, and your body will tell you also; in respiration rate and heart rate. Listen to what it tells you and ease into hill just as you do your running. So start some hills now – sooner rather than later – and walk what you need to. Even at a walk you are building adaptations for this type of terrain, but remain a smart and thinking runner when you tackle these challenges and we’ll talk more about hill (up and down) in an upcoming class.

Keep at it, Carl